Theory is part of the Royal Conservatory of Music Syllabus. It is for students in RCM Grade 5 or higher. The Rudiments of Music Theory introduces the basic elements, notational conventions, and terminology of music. The Royal Conservatory of Music program is organized into three progressive levels.
Level 5 Theory
- Co-requisite for: Level 5 Practical Examination.
- Recommended for concurrent study with: Level 1 to 5 Practical Examinations.
Level 6 & 7 Theory
- Co-requisite for: Level 6 or 7 Practical Examination.
- Recommended for concurrent study with: Level 4 to 6 Practical Examinations.
Level 8 Theory
- Co-requisite for: Level 7 to 10 Practical Examinations, Elementary Piano Pedagogy
- Prerequisites for: ARCT in Performance, Teacher's ARCT, Intermediate and Advanced Piano Pedagogy
- Recommended for concurrent study with: Level 7 to 8 Practical Examinations
If you are in:
- Level 5 you need Level 5 Theory; respectively the same for Levels 6 - 8
- Level 9 you need Level 9 Harmony and Level 9 History
- Level 10 you need Level 10 Harmony & Counterpoint and Level 10 History
- ARCT you need ARCT Harmony & Counterpoint, ARCT History and ARCT Analysis
You may also be eligible for high school credits if you complete the following (Ontario curriculum)
Level 7 practical and Level 7 rudiments equal one Grade 11 credit
Level 8 practical and Level 8 rudiments equal one Grade 12 credit
Teacher for this Class
Sign up for Classes and After School packages Now!
Free Music Trial Lesson! Free Academic Assessment! Study with an awesome teacher for as little as $15 per class. Register for trials and classes today!